Sunday, March 28, 2010

A day in Vienna

En route to Chisinau, Moldova from Budapest, Hungary, I found it was easiest to pass through Vienna, Austria. A city I have visited before and loved before. Vienna for me is the all- but- perect European city. If I had to rank all the cities in Europe that I have been to, Vienna would certainly be near the top of the list (second of course to Fishbach, Germany).

Vienna's streets are cleaner than Rome's, it's cathedral more impressive than Brussels' and I'm almost positive there are more kiosk flower shops here than in Paris...and the speak Deutsch! An added bonus since these past six years haven't managed to erase all my linguistic knowledge of German.

Needless to say, I feel comfortalbe here.

My train from Budapest took about three hours, which I spent reading and thinking. Upon my arrival, I encountered the shuttle driver who would take me to my hotel. Being that I arrived at 8:00 PM on a Monday night, the shuttle was all but vancant. My travel partner and I were the lone two souls aboard the massive bus.

Yet the low population must have made the drier feel at ease As he accelerated through the narrow streets, he relaxed in his seat and turned up the radio. It wasn't too long before Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean" came on and the radio was turned up several notches higher...and that's when the singing began. With a flawless knowledge of all the lyrics, the driver displayed his musical talent, taking care to even hit all the high, stylzed notes the artist is so known for. More than 24 hours later and I still have in my head "Don't mess around with a young girl's heart...OOO"

The next morning was my only day in the City. Following breakfast I headed to the city center for the first event on my priortized list. This will come as no suprise that it was yet another visit to the Spanische Hofreitschule (Spanish Ridding School). This is the home of the famous Lipinzzaner horses who are the epitome of classical dressage and a symbol of discipline, talent and beauty.

This was my third time seeing these horses, but I am never short of amazed. Perfect piaffe, passage, half-passes and airs were all displayed with effortless execution.

Two and a half hours later, we were back on the street wondering around the city. Since both of us have been here before, we possessed no agenda of museums or landmarks, we were simply there to enjoy the atmosphere that is Vienna.

Multiple cups of coffee, park benches, window shopping and of course schnitzel were all enjoyed in the beautiful sun we were lucky enough to have today.

I spent this evening enjoying the hotel room and attempting to prepare myself for what lies ahead of me...Moldova. A Place I have never been. A place that is, as I've been told, unlike any place I've been. A place where our lodging is unknown and our schedule is unknonw.

Needless to say, my imagination is filled with the details I lack in reality.

I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment