Saturday, March 20, 2010

Horses in Hungary

As Csilla and I have been getting to know one another better, it didn't take her long to discover the strong affinity I possess for members of the equine race. As I shared about my horse briefly, I made an effort to provide a short synopsis and attempted to change the subject to something easier to talk about, something that was a common subject for the both of us. I have become farily used to the fact that not many other indivduals enjoy carrying on a conversation about large, four legged creatures we rarely even see, much less know anything about. You can imagine my suprise when Csilla expressed a strong interest in my equine endeavours.

As the conversation developed, she wanted to know generalities as well as details. Where my horse lived, how often I saw her, where I learned my training techniques, what the name was for a particular piece of equipment, and the all important question of how in the world I first developed an interest in these animals.

Questions led to explanations and explanations fed several other conversations that we had throughout the week. Csilla even stopped the lecture once when we arrved at a particular topic and told me 'Tell them about your horse'. The story she was looking for was not so much the fact that I had a horse, but the story of what this adventure has cultivated and produced in my life.

Over a potato soup lunch, one of the seminar participants asked me about the speciality I would be working in as a counselor. 'In such a large field', he said, 'what exactly will be your focus?' In response, I gave a nice, concise answer of my desire to perhaps work with young women or college age individuals. I gave the kosher response that I felt I could be effective in working with some of the issues faced by young women in our society.

Thinking that was a sufficient response, I broke eye contact and spooned a large amount of soup in my mouth. Just as I was doing this, my grandfather casually said 'And'. Acquisitively, I looked at him and said 'and what?'

'Equine therapy' he said.

Ah yes, he wanted me to share my desire to use equine therapy in my professional life. I have to tell you now that athough this is a strong desire of mine, I am uncertain about the practicality, ability and overall possibility of this becoming a reality for me. I guess you could say it's currently a dream, but has yet to be transformed into a tangible goal.

So, reluctantly, I told them about equine therapy. Naturally, I assumed that they would think it was strange, foreign, and perhaps some crazy, American, quasi-solution to societal problems. After all, I am still learning what the Hugarian concept of mental health is! Trying to understand their concepts of treatment is a whole 'nother ball game!

To my complete suprise...they loved it! And an instant connection was formed. It was phenomenal that, this one statement opened up a series of questions and interactive conversation fueled by four people who kept asking questions and kept expressing their ideas about it.

As their stories emerged, I discovered that one of the individuals in the conversation was a director of an elementary school and that at his school, they currently conduct equine therapy. Another shared about the research of equine therapy he had pursued and described the benefits of equine physical therapy that he had discovered.

They practically knew more about the topic than I did! And they were so enthusiastic about it! And as this enthusiasm was developing around me, I internally shook my head...I should have known.

Hungary, in it's origin, was strongly a horse country. For centuries, their existence was directly linked to the horse. And although many other cultures throughout history were similar in their equine dependence, the very life style of the Hungarian people was defined by the horse.

Smiling, one woman exclaimed rather proudly, 'We are a horse culture'.

That sentence quickly became somewhat of an understatement as I then recalled the information I had learned in one of the multiple horse encyclopedias I was mocked for reading as a child, but that nevertheless, I devoured.

Not only was the traditional Hungarian life style, schedule and existence dictated by the horse, they deliberately developed their equine connection further. Several hundred years ago, it was the Hungarian dedication to the animal that caused them to start some of the most progressive and successful breading schemes that ever existed. As a result, several of the world's most remarkable breeds of horses are in existence today.

In the later stages of our conversation, they shared about the national horse race that occurs every year in Budapest. It's a massive event in which each and every town in Hungary sends one horse and rider to compete and represent them in Budapest.

And so much work goes into making this happen! A special equine conducive footing is laid to cover the concrete ground in the city, accomidations are created for the various horse guests that arrive and much effort is put into the preperation. As you can imagine, hotels are brimming with people as they come from all over Hungary to watch this race that takes place in their capitol city. Banners, cheering, excitement... after this beautiful portrayal, I wanted to go!

How interesting this was to me. I was so mistaken. Here I though that these people would have thought that the concept of horse therapy is strange, useless or at the very least be skeptical. But how they embraced and advocated the concept! I wish I could have had a way to bottle up their belief and passion for this healing practice, take it with me, and spread it all around in the States.

Thinking further about this development, I wonder if perhaps this affinity is simply in their DNA. This thought was unexpectedly reinforced as I witnessed the excitement of an 18th month old baby as she watched a horse and rider pass by earlier today. Her grandmother said she was mesmerized; a feeling I can relate to completely.

As I now sit here as the day is winding down, it's so phenomenal to me how God uses the unique elements of your life to connect you with with people...even half way around the world. This shared interest later led to the discussion of other things; personal things. For some reason, the door was opened.

There is no way I could have told you on that first day I mounted a horse some fourteen years ago, that one day, I would be able to establish a connection with a group of eager Hungarian believers because of our mutual and passionate interest in the horse. But that's exactly what happened today.

No comments:

Post a Comment